Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Round one

Everything is going to be alright. I made it to Vancouver without any problems, as did my luggage and both of my guitars, despite having to check my electric last minute. I’ve checked into the hotel and I (apparently) have a shuttle leaving at 6:15/6:30 for the port. I feel a bit more assured about what I’m doing here, how I’m going to navigate things around the boat, and the fact that I’m separated from much of what I’ve become used to over the past four years now that I’m about to become gainfully employed. However, none of this is why I’m sitting comfortably right now. I know everything is going to be alright because I’m at an Irish-styled pub right now, and it was those first few sips of Guinness (perhaps my last proper pint for a while) that told me everything is going to be alright. It’s amazing what the simple things in life can do.
Ok, now that that’s out of the way...
My flight out or Rochester left around 10 this morning. I’m assuming the flight was reserved for businessmen considering a) how nearly everyone was wearing a suit and b) the dirty looks I got when I held things up as the official at the gate informed me my dear PRS was going to be checked (everyone behind me in line may have been pissed, but hell hath no fury like a boy separated from his guitar). Getting into and out of O’Hare was fine, getting past Canadian customs was fine, getting to the hotel was fine..rather boring I suppose, but preferable to drama and trouble.
My hotel is actually in Richmond, about 10 or so minutes out of Vancouver. Richmond, or at least the area I’m in, is nothing but auto shops and discount furniture stores. Once I was more or less settled I tossed on my hoodie and engaged in on of my favorite pastimes: wandering. I was hoping for at least a pawn shop or newsstand. There’s a great Chinese population around the area that’s well represented in the local businesses so at best I was hoping for the kind of decrepit, fascinating store Billy’s father bought Gizmo in Gremlins but, alas, no avail.
I can’t help but think about every other newbie who’s spent a night near a port, waiting for the next day to start their new job. I wonder if they were hoping to find one last great meal and drink before getting a sleepless night debating the next day. I wonder if they wrote a blog. I wonder if they wanted to choke an airport worker for checking their guitar.
I’d honestly like to write about something exciting happening, but my day has literally been airport terminals and hotel shuttles (took a damn half hour for mine to come...damn it). No adventures, not exciting development, just...well...it’s raining. That’s all. However, in the spirit of meeting interesting characters in travels:
1) The stewardess on my flight to Chicago looked and damn near sounded like Paula Dean. I wish they would have served butter cookies on the flight...
2) The guy who checked me into the hotel looked like he was 17 and sounded like a game show host.
3) I was actually about to leave the pub I ate dinner at until the waitress literally greeted me by saying “sup, dude?” She’s getting a good tip.

Cheers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the west coast. We say "sup, dude?" at just about every opportunity around here. Told ya it's cooler out here :)