Sunday, September 7, 2008

“Here’s what it’s like working on a boat: you take your logical process of thinking, then you invert it”–Cameron

I think I’m starting to get the hang of this living on a boat thing. It’s been just over a week and I’ve (more or less) found my way around the ship between short cuts, places and times where I can dress casually, and where and when I can practice (maybe this is the only time I’ll ever be happy my instrument is naturally quiet). Nearly everyone I’ve met so far has been very nice and asking how I’ve been adjust to the boat so far. Apparently, three months is the perfect length for a starting contract. The food is good...too good...I’ve heard that it’s easy for guests to gain about seven pounds in one cruise. Needless to say, I’ve been forcing myself to get up and hit the gym in the morning. Trying to, anyway.
So far I’ve been playing the sets with the HalCats and two big production shows, one Broadway and one Vegas. The Vegas show actually has a pretty involved guitar part with constantly jumping chord changes and sections where I need to be completely sensitive to what’s going on and not just mindlessly hack out my part. The Broadway show is sort of a given, but I do get a small rock star moment, spotlight and all, during the “Annie” bit. Having to pull that out on my second day on the ship was a bit intimidating, but fun nonetheless. I’m still nervous about letting my guard down around the rest of the band; everyone’s been playing with each other for a good while and, being the new guy, I’m still working myself into a good groove with the band. No one’s complained so far, so I assume I’m doing something right.
I like Alaska much more than I thought I would. I’ve never been a big fan of camping or nature really, but Juneau and Skagway were so calm and unexpected. I’d like to see what everything looks like beyond the ports, but I can’t afford to miss the all aboard time. Apparently three members of a string quartet missed the boat in Vancouver last week and had to meet up with the Ryndam in Juneau. There’s even something calming about the days the ship is just at sea: the way the boat shifts in rough waters when you’re surrounded be ocean and the sky is sort of liberating in an odd way. I know this is probably just some sort of honeymoon phase, but I’m really starting to enjoy being so detached from land. I’m not exactly sure how to explain it, but I dig it.

Cheers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss you! I'm so happy that things are going great on board. When do you head down to Mexico?